Spring is enjoyable for many reasons: flowers bloom, you can open up windows for outdoor air and your utility bill is commonly at its most economical. That’s because you’re not turning on your heating or air.
But as mercury begins to increase, so do your energy bills. Here are some tips for saving energy in Champaign and keeping bills lower.
1. Call for Annual AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system a yearly maintenance visit can help it run more efficiently and lower costs. Replacing your air filter will help keep power bills low.
If your air conditioning equipment has experienced better days, spring is a good time to update it. The energy-saving options in newer AC systems is a huge plus in keeping your utility expenses down.
2. Turn Down Your Thermostat
There’s a painless way you can save up to 10% on HVAC charges. Just dial your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours during the day.
Focusing on how to expertly work your thermostat is the easiest way to reduce energy charges in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re in the house. Think of it this way, the lower the difference between outdoor temperatures and indoor temperatures, the lower your cooling cost will be.
- When you’re out, set the thermostat to a much higher temperature or turn it off. There’s no reason to cool an empty home.
3. Try Other Approaches to Cool Your Space
You can turn to several other methods to help keep your house at the right temperature:
- Use a ceiling fan—By running a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no reduction in comfort. Have your fan spin counterclockwise in the summer, which drives cool air upward. This disperses cool air more equally when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds shut—Sunlight quickly transforms into heat as it passes through windows. Keep your house comfortable by drawing blinds and curtains when you’re not staying in sunny areas.
4. Consider Buying a Smart Thermostat
You’ve left home and suddenly realize you forgot to turn up the thermostat. Then you think about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats figure out your routine and change the temp when you’re out and about to help you save energy and money. You can also adjust the conditions from anywhere with your phone.
These professional suggestions will all help keep summer energy costs down. If you conclude it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation, call us at 217-689-2469 or contact us online. We’ll help you select the best product for your home. And like always, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.