There are a multitude of vapors that could be within your Champaign home. Natural gas and gases that derive from household fixtures, carpet and paints. None of these gases are as threatening as carbon monoxide.
Reach Chief / Bauer Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 217-689-2469 right away to begin protecting your residence against this toxic gas.
Why is Carbon Monoxide so Deadly?
Carbon monoxide might be an emergency, so it’s not a thing to mess around with.
1. You Can’t Smell It
Carbon monoxide is hazardous because you aren’t able to observe it, smell it with your nose or taste it. It’s nonirritating in little amounts and can’t be filtered.
2. It Can Be Fatal Within Minutes
Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of burnt fuel. It can creep into your house during cold weather if the heat exchanger on your gas furnace cracks. Based on how big the leak is and the circulation in a house, the gas can become deadly in just a few minutes.
Once taken in, carbon monoxide has a half-life of about five hours. If you are breathing pure air, it will take five hours to take it out of your bloodstream. You will need an additional five hours to cut that amount by half.
3. Carbon Monoxide Reaction Can Mimic Other Illnesses
The gas could also mirror conditions that can be mistaken as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other illnesses.
How to Defend Your Residence from Carbon Monoxide
There’s no reason to risk carbon monoxide poisoning.
Here are several ways you can take to keep your home safe:
- Every residence with at least one natural gas appliance, attached garage or fireplace requires a carbon monoxide detector. You should have a detector on all levels of your home, on top of the basement and garage. You also should install one inside or outside of every bedroom. Aren’t using a carbon monoxide detector in your residence?
Call Chief / Bauer Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 217-689-2469 to purchase one. Ask our technicians about our economical Wi-Fi carbon monoxide detectors.
- If you already own a carbon monoxide alarm, consistently test or swap out the batteries. You should test batteries every 90 days, and buy a new detector every three to five years.
- If your carbon monoxide alarm alerts you to danger, leave your residence without delay and call 911.
Protect Your Family with Assistance from Chief / Bauer Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning
Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be terrifying, and with the right precautions your home can be protected from the dangerous gas. Make the proper changes and call Chief / Bauer Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 217-689-2469 to learn more.