Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your home, being comfortable in your new area no matter the weather is key. However, they can make a unique challenge for comfort. This is due to the fact adding ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be work properly with the higher load, since it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most affordable options is to add a mini-split. This system delivers energy-efficient heating and cooling, all without ductwork. Discover more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition could be a fantastic fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Heat and Cool
A ductless mini-split, because they’re very similar to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have used for decades.
Heat pumps are highly energy efficient because they move heat to make your space more comfortable. In reality, many have earned ENERGY STAR® certification, which can make you eligible for added rebates and decrease your energy expenses for many years.
Another unique feature includes zoned heating and cooling. Since each room often has its own indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. As an example, a mini-split AC is extremely beneficial if you have a area with special temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for spaces that are without ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s better than installing ductwork and using your present heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is costly. Adding ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the exact cost will depend on your house, it could be thousands of dollars.
- Your present home comfort system might become overworked. When your present heating and cooling system was installed, it was based on the square footage of your home prior to the addition. This can overwork your system and make it wear out more rapidly.
- Your comfort might be impacted. As your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort might decrease if your system has to manage a larger space. Your heating and cooling might be less efficient, and your electricity and gas costs might increase due to the system needing to run more frequently.
What Size Mini-Split You Need
Like regular systems, mini-splits are available in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you partner our Experts at Chief/Bauer Service Experts, we’ll help you select the proper size for your new area. And your wallet.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create big energy savings over its life cycle, which can be 20 years or more when properly tuned up. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Chief/Bauer Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From addressing all your questions and helping you choose the right model to delivering Expert mini-split installation, Chief/Bauer Service Experts can accommodate all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently wrapped one up, we can provide assistance. Reach us at 217-689-2469 now to request a free consultation and estimate.