Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing weird noises when your air conditioner is on? There’s a strong probability there’s something wrong with your unit. If you don’t pay attention to it, it could lead to significant—and expensive—problems later. We’re going to help you figure out what’s happening with your air conditioner and what you can do to change it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling generally indicates a complication with your refrigerant line. If you can’t identify where the noise is originating from, that’s alright. An expert can help find out where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will cause a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can create noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can be created by a damanged refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is probably an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can hint you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can be due to a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A loud noise from your external unit can signal an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can be related to fan motor issues or a busted relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find additional information about frequent air conditioning issues on energy.gov
Should I keep using my air conditioner when it’s making a noise?
There are a few cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s difficult to answer this question without examining your system.
In most cases, we recommend turning the unit off and contacting a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you think there’s a problem with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it’s best to get problems fixed right away. Calling a professional could help lower future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
Zoning Systems: Customized Comfort in Every Room
Central heating and cooling systems have revolutionized home comfort and made it possible to stay wonderfully comfortable in any season or climate. But while centralized systems supply a handy way to control the temperature, they occasionally fall short when it comes to evenly distributing heated... Continue reading
Eight Ways to Upgrade Your HVAC System
During the coldest time of the year in the U.S., there’s no better way to enhance your home’s comfort than with some effective upgrades. It’s not just about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about enhancing efficiency and cleaning the very air you breathe.... Continue reading
How to Find a Suitable HVAC System
In terms of keeping your home comfortable year-round, nothing is more important than picking out the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This determination influences your daily comfort, monthly utility expenditures and all-around home efficiency. Then again, with so... Continue reading