When rough weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair expert to check your system after the storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your steps were worth the time.
At Chief / Bauer Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time likely will not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during severe weather. Just make sure you have turned the system totally off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a secure place so that they don’t get strewn about during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head out of your home, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Chief / Bauer Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Champaign, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other issues that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for bad weather in Champaign or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Chief / Bauer Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.